Nonetheless, their average water capacity was almost the same as the combined average of the weighed commercial brass. The Lee Factory Crimp die also works very well and provides a reasonably uniform crimp, even when using cases that are not all exactly the same length. From hunters and military members, to competition shooters and general firearm enthusiasts, we welcome anyone who values and respects the way of the firearm.

Techniques I sort by bullet and then by max velocity. "I am compensating. 223 Remington, Reloading For several reasons, this cartridge was not accepted by the military, but Remington chose to introduce it commercially as the .222 Remington Magnum in 1957-1958.

It is important to mention that the 5.56 NATO is not fully interchangeable with the .223 Remington. A few examples include the Ruger American (1:8), Mossberg MVP (1:9) and Thompson/Center Encore (1:10). […], While the 6.5 Grendel is well established in the AR-15/M16 M4, it’s compact size and perceived long range effectiveness have also made it a desirable choice for low-recoiling bolt-action rifles. I’d never recommend using loads developed in any bolt action rifle for a semi aic rifle. I use 25.6 gr of Varget with a 62 gr FMJ BT. Pet Loads and Handloader are registered trademarks of Wolfe Publishing Company. In fact, in many load manuals, Sierra’s in particular, semi aic and bolt action loads are listed in separate sections of the book. While select extruded powders are known for top accuracy, many spherical (Ball) versions likewise produce first-rate performance. Both spherical (Ball) and extruded powders can give top performance in the .223 Remington.

If a magnum primer is used, such as the Federal 205, Remington 7½ or CCI 450, it may be necessary to reduce maximum loads, as this small change will increase pressures.

Select data that corresponds with a rifle’s twist rate to achieve top performance. 223 Ackley Improved (223AI) loads and review: A better 223? Generally it's okay to use the known load data from the next size up.

While these guns are fun, and sometimes accurate, they don’t seem to do the cartridge justice. Unfortunately, most of this success is due to its widespread use in semi-aic rifles. I loaded ammunition with a variety of bullets, including the Hornady 55- and 60-grain Spire Points (w/o cannelure), 55-grain GMX, Nosler 60-grain Partition, 55-grain Trophy Bonded and Barnes 50-, 53- and 55-grain Triple-Shock X-Bullet, with each producing excellent results. Project Guns- Gunsmithing articles and posts, MagnetoSpeed V3 barrel mounted ballistic chronograph, Remington 700 with McGowen pre-fit barrel at 200 yards. Sure, the industry sells a boat load of it.

For a roll crimp to offer uniform results, cases must be trimmed to a uniform length.

In 1957, the Armalite AR-15 rifle was in development, and the .222 Remington case was lengthened, its shoulder moved forward and its neck shortened to create a new experimental cartridge that would offer greater performance and properly function in the gas-operated action.

[…], 223 Ackley Improved: A better 223? How much Varget are you guys using for a 62 grain bullet in a 223 round? The chamber leade is also cut differently, with the .223 being shorter.

Five shot group sizes ranged from .504″ (.481 MOA) to 1.130″ (1.079 MOA). Begin with “start” loads and work up carefully to maximum powder charges while checking for signs of excess pressure. For testing and evaluation purposes, I mounted a Harris bench rest bipod and a TRACT TORIC 3-15 scope with Warne rings on my Ruger American. They are only safe in the rifle shown and may not be safe in yours. Several, including H335, BL-C(2), Varget, Benchmark, IMR 8208 XBR, H4895, and CFE 223 have proven to be the most versatile choices with all bullet weights. . -George Orwell. January 9, 2019 All the accompanying data was developed using Winchester Small Rifle primers. Some of the most consistently accurate powders included Hodgdon Benchmark, Varget, H-322, BL-C(2), CFE 223, IMR-8208 XBR, IMR-4198, Accurate LT-30, LT-32, A-2015, A-2230, Ramshot TAC, Alliant RL-10X, AR-Comp, Winchester 748, Vihtavuori VV-N130 and VV-N135. With the trends toward heavier, low-drag, long-range bullets, several rifles chambered for .223 Remington are now offered with faster twist barrels. With the 223 Remington I find that the load in the middle [(starting load grs.+ max load grs. The 223 Remington is historically known as an accurate round in bolt action rifles. Savage Arms Inc. bolt-action rifles produced since November 1, 1995, including the Axis, Models 10, 11, 12, 16, etc., have been fitted with 1:12, 1:9 and 1:7 twists, though it seems that of late the company has settled on the 1:9 twist as standard.

1, (4) Ruger M77 MKII All-Weather, (5) Mossberg MVP and (5) Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. The accompanying data is intended for .223 Remington chamber dimensions and includes bullet weights ranging from 35 to 75 grains.

If that is granted, all else follows." Ten weighed cases averaged 89.4 grains (without primers) and held 30.8 grains of water. Starline brass, Sierra Bullets and Varget are available at Brownells! Consult appropriate load manuals prior to developing your own handloads. For the 52 grain HPBT, muzzle velocities ranged from 2,793 feet/second to 3,106 feet/second. They typically weighed between 90.5 grains and 92.5 grains and on average held around 30.6 grains of water, measured level with the case mouth. This is simply not true.

Well I loaded up 3 different charges.

It’s light recoil, low powder usage and readily available components make it a great choice for many different shooting disciplines.

I’ve had fantastic results with their 6.5 Creedmoor brass, finding it durable and capable of great accuracy for one of the lowest price points on the market.

As a result, firing 5.56 NATO ammunition in a rifle with a .223 chamber can result in excessively high pressures and is generally not recommended; however, .223 ammunition can be fired in a 5.56 chamber without issues. In short, the NATO cases had less weight and capacity variance than commercial cases. Its performance approached the .222 Remington Magnum (center) introduced in 1957. It works good for her. Traditionally, it propels a 55-grain bullet at 3,240 fps – a notable increase in velocity and effective range when compared to the .222 Remington. The list of match bullets is extensive, typically ranging in weight from 52 to 75 grains (even 80- to 90-grain bullets requiring a faster-twist rate than discussed here). I selected Varget because, like H4350, I use a lot of it. I looked in a few manuals and online and no one has load data for it. Wolfe Publishing Company | 2180 Gulfstream Suite A | Prescott, AZ 86301. I am using 25.2 grains of Varget with the Barnes 62 TSX in her Bushmaster ORC for caribou. .TAC I am pretty sure. To develop the accompanying handload data, a Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter Max was used; it features a 22-inch barrel, a 1:9 twist rate and was fitted with a Nikon 3-12x M223 scope.

These bullets can include lead tips, hollowpoints and plastic tips, with the most popular versions usually weighing between 35 and 55 grains.

I looked in a few manuals and online and no one has load data for it.

In checking commercial .223 Remington cases from Federal, Hornady, NoslerCustom, Remington and Winchester, weights varied from 89.5 to just under 95 grains.

It is important to note that these loads were developed in a bolt action rifle and not a semi aic rifle.

All the accompanying data was developed using Winchester Small Rifle primers.

Varget is the perfect powder for shooting the 223 Remington with heavy bullets in competitive matches. The .223 Remington has been chambered in a variety of rifles and action types. Of the powders used to develop the accompanying data, there is not a single right or wrong choice, as all gave respectable accuracy and velocity.

You may note I shot the 52 BTHP more than the 55HP and 69 SMK. Muzzle velocity data was recorded with a MagnetoSpeed V3 barrel mounted ballistic chronograph. The .223 Remington (right) was based on the .222 Remington case (left). While there are number of exceptional powders for 223 Remington, Varget is a no brainer when you have a lot of it. Examples include the Hornady SP SX and V-MAX, Sierra HP and BlitzKing, Nosler Varmageddon HP and Ballistic Tip, Speer TNT and Barnes Varmint Grenade. Starline has been in the brass business for a while, but their push into the world of traditional rifle brass is noteworthy. "-Zanther, [Last Edit: 1/22/2011 5:21:33 PM EST by dryflash3], [Last Edit: 1/22/2011 8:32:21 PM EST by pcsutton], [ARCHIVED THREAD] - 62 gr FMJBT with varget powder in .223.

In the years since, twist rates in AR rifles intended primarily for civilian sales have also been offered with 1:8 and 1:9 twist rates, with some specialty rifles featuring a 1:6.5 twist to stabilize match bullets weighing up to 90 grains. All content Copyright 1998-2018 Rifleshooter.com, FTC disclosure: some links on this site are monetized. None of the cartridges in the accompanying data were crimped, as they were fed and fired in single-shot mode.

There has been considerable commentary suggesting that the 5.56 NATO case has less capacity than the .223 Remington, and therefore loads must be reduced accordingly. Although the .223 Remington is often considered inadequate for deer-sized game, when loaded with a bullet designed for the task, it will kill deer reliably. For reloading information: WARNING: The loads shown are for informational purposes only. Rifleshooter.com and its authors, do not assume any responsibility, directly or indirectly for the safety of the readers attempting to follow any instructions or perform any of the tasks shown, or the use or misuse of any information contained herein, on this website. Knight’s Armament URX 4 forend: Initial thoughts, Schmidt & Bender 5-25×56 PM II SFP Review, Remington 700 versus Savage 10/110: Comparative design notes, 308 Winchester Barrel Length and Velocity: Winchester 147 grain FMJ, Custom Remington 700 Build: Our twist on a light tactical rifle, Porting a shotgun barrel with a milling machine, Barreling a Winchester Model 70 with a Remington 700 sporter barrel, Smith and Wesson K-Frame revolver barrel removal and installation. The .223 Remington (right) shares identical outside dimensions as the 5.56 NATO (left) but is not fully interchangeable.

Bill Marr AR15.Com reserves the right to overwrite or replace any affiliate, commercial, or monetizable links, posted by users, with our own.

Selling agent for Algores carbon credit scam. Examples include the Hornady 53- grain V-MAX with a G1 BC of .290, the Nosler 55-grain Ballistic Tip (.267 BC) and Sierra 55-grain BlitzKing (.271 BC). Usually a good powder to pick is one of the top velocity performers. Post was not sent - check your email addresses!

When loading ammunition to be used in the field, and fired in a variety of actions and rifle types, I prefer a crimp to keep bullets in place. Of course, Hodgdon provides load data for every bullet weight they’ve tested with all compatible propellants yielding safe and reliable ballistic data.

With the changes made to military loads and the 5.56 NATO cartridge by 1980, the rifling twist of mil-spec AR rifles was changed to 1:7 to better accommodate ammunition that contained heavier bullets.

All Rights Reserved.

To recap, in Installing a pre-fit barrel on a Remington 700, I installed a pre-fit McGowen 1:10″ twist, 25″ long #7 barrel on an old 700. They withstood many reloadings without failure.

Since this rifle feeds from an AR magazine, OAL was limited to 2.250″ and the long heavy bullets were off the table.

Additional experimental cartridges were designed to function in the AR-15 and meet military requirements, including the .222 Special (aka .224 Springfield) that had a shorter case, shorter neck and shorter overall cartridge length than the .222 Remington Magnum. Examples include Ramshot TAC (left) and Accurate 2015 (right). . I used 3 different Sierra bullets, the 52 BTHP, 69 SMK and 55 HP.