gear difficulties), but aside from the service history of the engines has no unique problems. The 421 seats just as many passengers, has more baggage room and similar performance. Further, because one is usually sitting down in flight the wide cabin really adds to the feeling of spaciousness.

The 421s geared engines generate comments that are either positive or absolutely no way negative. While aircraft owners and pilots can debate the relative noisiness of various airplanes, the fact remains that theyre all loud: its just a question of how loud. (219) 749-2520. I plan for 50 gallons the first hour and 40 each hour after that. An experienced hand is needed on the throttles, and each year there seems to be a new crop of controllers that expect the airplane to be able to descend at 5000 FPM. Go figure. I fully expect to get 1500 hours from each of my engines, which is good considering they are about $35,000 each for an overhaul. The distinctive Stabila-Tip tanks (with their bladders) were gone, replaced by a simpler, bonded wet-wing fuel system. © Belvoir Media Group, LLC. that came with them. Our firm has owned a 1977 Cessna 421C since 1989 and uses it exclusively in our charter business. Springbank to Falcon Field in Mesa is 1065NM, even with some upper winds that is within the range of a Conti powered Malibu. The new wing also improved single-engine performance, with increased single-engine service ceiling and rate of climb. As is common, refinements were immediately applied and the 1969 model was redesignated 421A. Unless otherwise noted, these reviews carry product pricing from the time of the original review. On descent, I dont touch the throttles from cruise until within 20 miles of the airport. Service ceiling is much higher with both engines running, and quite close with only one prop turning.

The airplane is rated for known icing and, even in some rather severe weather, the cabin remains comfortable and provides an incredibly stable environment. I love to fly like everyone here, and fly my own plane even more, but as in everything, the way my brain works, is how many commercial flights can the couple do for the enormous amount of $$$$ this is going to cost them? These were my hourly costs: Average fuel burn: 46 GPHMaintenance (parts and labor): $174.50/hourEngine reserve: $39.04/hour Propeller reserve: $4.37/hour. Cessna aimed it at buyers who wanted better carrying capacity and performance than other piston twins offered, but who were put off by the high cost of turboprops. Letting down calls for precise planning to prevent shock cooling. Cessna Citation II 550 Operating Costs Jet Charter Operating Costs Performance Average hourly rate including fixed and variable costs based on the number of annual flight hours.

(You must log in or sign up to reply here. When I bought the plane it had two RAM engines installed. Performance approaches that of some turboprops, but purchase and operating costs are considerably lower (though still considerable – they only look good when compared to propjets). [1], In 1971 the design was again improved. We easily take six people, their luggage and skis without putting any baggage in the cabin from Los Angeles to Lake Tahoe. Some give the 421 and unfair rap. Write CSS OR LESS and hit save.

If you do that, youll be buying new cylinders all the time. Maximum gross weight was a respectable 6800 pounds. One charter operator who wrote in had a different engine complaint, one aimed at Continental for taking a very long time (several months) to deliver factory remanufactured engines. Useful load is about 2200 pounds, so there is a lot of loading flexibility. These burn through, serving as a conduit to allow the gases to strike and burn through the firewall to the unprotected fuel crossfeed lines beyond. Owner groupsA club that covers the 421, in addition to all other twin Cessnas, is The Twin Cessna Flyer. -Jerry TempleJerry Temple AviationCarrollton, Texas. Other than that I have had the problems you would expect from a 24 year old, high performance, pressurized, turbocharged airplane. After purchase, it is wise to have a fresh weight and balance done and a new equipment list drawn up. In my opinion the I owned a 1981 Cessna 421C for 2 years. Owners are unanimous in their praise of the airplanes real-world usefulness in load carrying. The spacious wide-bodied cabin is extremely quiet thanks to the props spooling along at 1750 RPM. The left engine started making metal around 1200 hours, and the right engine blew out the number 5 connecting rod at 1100 hours while I was flying with my wife in the right seat and my family in the back. The pressurization system was improved, raising the pressure differential first to 4.2, then 4.4 inches. When evaluating an aircraft for buyers, the age and quality of the avionics are, of course, at issue. All-engine rate of climb is almost 200 FPM better than the Cheyenne, and within 15 FPM of the King Air. Later engines sported heavier crankcases that increased TBO to a still-low 1600 hours.

That probably costs another $3500 with travel from Texas. ). Eliminating the tip tanks, increasing the wing span and enlarging the fin and rudder made for somewhat improved handling, particularly in roll and during single-engine operations. CTRL + SPACE for auto-complete. Data from Jane's All The World's Aircraft 1976–77 [17], Aircraft of comparable role, configuration, and era, Media related to Cessna 421 at Wikimedia Commons, Pressurized twin-engine general aviation aircraft. As the type club for piston-powered Cessna twins, we represent 421 owners worldwide. The only complaint that I have was with the RAM engines.