Which truck will get better fuel economy: a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax diesel or a new Ford F-150 EcoBoost V6? The torque is pretty nuts, although the V6 is pretty quiet so it feels weird as there’s not much noise corresponding to your acceleration! My CargoPro aluminum enclosed trailer has a 20′ box, 4′ V-nose up front, and comes in around 27′ total length. Hey Cole.

It also came with Sync 3, Ford’s large touchscreen infotainment, which supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. My 2018 F-150, equipped with the revised direct-injection 5.0L Coyote V8, has an incurable rattle coming from the variable camshaft timing solenoids.

I’m looking forward to our Ram/Jeep media day next week, will get some seat time in the new Ram 2500, which has 1,000 ft-lb! Here’s How The Four Wheel Campers Slide-In Truck Camper Handles The Winter Weather.

The High Output 3.5 Litres is a V6 EcoBoost which has a payload of 3,230 pounds and has the largest towing capacity of the engines at 13,200 pounds. While the 2.7 EcoBoost is capable of towing 9000 pounds, it is mostly theoretical as this towing capacity is measured with no passenger, driver, or load in the truck, which is impractical.

Exceptional space, power and towing capacity make F-150 the preferred choice for towing and hauling.

Ford also offers the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 and 5.0L V8 on XLTs.

Queso enthusiast. Always leave a little room. The biggest engine in the F-150 lineup is the 5.0-liter “Coyote” V8 with 395 horsepower, 400 lb-ft of torque and an 11,600 pound towing capacity.

Jake looks cool and sounds great you won’t gas bills drive my 48 it has never seen a gas station that it didn’t love, I have a 2015 expedition 3.5 l and I’ve had a lot of problems with it, has no power most of the time I’ve had one of the turbos replaced spending $2,700 that did not repair what the Ford dealership said was part of the problem. The truck asks for a few bits of information, and then BLIS starts working to inform you of cars next to you – and your trailer. Under heavy load the two trucks may return approximately equal MPG. Changing lanes at night with a trailer? While both trucks completed the Ike Gauntlet™ – world’s toughest towing test, the heavier Nissan XD chassis did it with more confidence. Please take a look at TFLtruck’s Highway Towing MPG loop results for a variety of trucks. Also, congrats on being the recipient of a free bag of dried concrete. You have entered an incorrect email address! We use a 9,000 – 9,500 lbs trailer for the annual Gold Hitch towing competition on the Ike Gauntlet™.

Apples to apples, even though they are not, Im not planning on towing very much I see a lot more 2.7L for sale if the information is correct.

This means that you can tow a travel trailer with a fully-loaded weight of 8,000 pounds or so. You can order the 3.5L EcoBoost in any trim of F-150 (maybe not XL). Competes on four wheels with a 1997 BMW M3, and two feet in Spartan Races. In more modern years, the best Ford F150 engine with the best and highest towing capacity tends to be the EcoBoost 3.5L models. Fan of all things wheeled. If the suspension of a half-ton truck is compressed near the limit by the trailer’s tongue weight and the additional load in the truck – the rear suspension will not be able to control sway as well as when hauling a lighter load. If the truck has four-wheel drive, it brings that number down to 12,900 pounds.

[Reader Question], Which Silverado Engine to Get: 5.3L or 6.2L V8? This is because – it’s a trailer that all the half-ton trucks are rated to tow, and it’s a trailer that we can tow without too much sway or squat. Compared to the last F-150 I had, this XLT was well-equipped. No big deal anymore. If you don’t care about rearranging your trailer’s contents, you can roll out to about 10 mph and apply full throttle away from a stoplight – you will beat the truck and trailer next to you, handily. On to the party piece – Ford’s 3.5L EcoBoost V6! Turns out it can lug a hefty 12,700 pounds with a conventional hitch. Again I just dont see them very often on line or they are not supplying the info.

Or, try this site: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php. With my BMW M3 and wheels, tools, parts inside, it weighs in around 6,500 pounds. It made hilly terrain a breeze, and the “go” part of stop-and-go that much more fun. Crow Survival - All Rights Reserved, It is also able to tow a large amount of weight. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The 2.7 EcoBoost is a V6 that has a maximum payload of 2,470 pounds and a towing capacity of 9,000 pounds. These cloth seats are way more comfortable than they should be, and in many ways, I prefer them to the leather. Finally, this XLT had Ford’s optional 3.5L twin-turbo “EcoBoost” V6, paired to the new-last-year 10-speed aic. We towed about 11,000 lbs with a Ford F-150 EcoBoost and a Nissan Titan XD.

They can tow as high as 13,200 pounds. I was underwhelmed by the previous iterations of the ecoboost, so I’d be curious to take one of these for a spin. Which is More Reliable: 3.5L EcoBoost or 5.0L V8? Does the 3.5L only come in King Ranch version? Will a Ford F150 with a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 engine confidently tow a trailer that weighs 11,100 lbs? Their Pro Trailer Backup Assist sounds gimmicky, but does allow more inexperienced drivers to park a trailer with ease. You can order the 3.5L EcoBoost in any trim of F-150 (maybe not XL). I put 1,600 miles on this truck in 30 days, and 1,000 of those miles were with my trailer attached to the hitch.

When it’s right it has lots of power and torque but problem problem problem.

The backup camera allows the driver to zoom in on the hitch as they get closer to the trailer tongue, for example.

The 3 Litre VCT is also a V6 that has a payload of just 1,990 pounds and a towing capacity of 7,700 pounds. 35 Models Listed.

It’s just like any other blind spot system, until you attach your trailer. Before connecting your travel trailer to your 2.7 EcoBoost F150, you have to check what the GVWR or Gross Volume Weight Rating of the travel trailer and your truck are. Certainly okay with an open trailer, if you had an enclosed trailer I’d go for the 3.5. When I was told that it’d have to spend some significant time away from home, I was given a F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost as its substitute. This is a 2019 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCab with a 6.5′ bed. Is Polaris RZR Considered as Street Legal. This does beg the question though: just how large a, How does the 2.7 EcoBoost stack up to the other F150 engines, The truth is not all F150 trims and models come with similar.

This F-150 XLT was equipped with the optional $590 blind spot monitoring, which Ford calls BLIS. Not all modern trucks are expensive, here's what the owner of this hard working Ram 1500 has to say. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! The technology also delights while on the move. It works with a trailer up to 33′ total length. With 6 different engine choices, only F-150 offers you many options – to meet diverse job applications. Here is a very specific example of what we are talking about. © 2020 TFLtruck.com - Road Chaser, Inc. All rights reserved. We are wanting to update the 2008 Silverado 2500 HD duramax with a gas truck with better mpg.

3,270 lbs. My other question is there a big difference between those two engines? [Ask TFLTruck]. Old Ford Van Pushing a Car? The staggered rear outboard shocks help provide additional driving stability. Ford wanted me to drive their F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost so badly that they built it and sent it to Battlefield Ford, who immediately pressed it into service as a loaner vehicle for truck owners. Will badger you to come to the track and get rides and/or HPDE seat time, because everyone deserves to be a slightly better driver. I drove a 2.7L in a very base F-150 XLT and did like it, I think it’d tow just fine in most cases.

Sponsored: Here’s Your Chance To Win $5,000 Of Aftermarket Parts With... Will the Ram TRX Be Available In Two Trims: 392 SRT... Update: Both Ford And GM Are Developing EVs, But Where Is... Diesel Tundra or Tacoma? I like that this truck still seems like it has plenty of oomph to get moving even with a full load in tow. Definitely comes in a lot of XLTs and Lariats. While the other engine options would certainly work well, the hotshot 3.5L is absolutely worth having if towing often. Video: Below Freezing? Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. That isn't the top of the F-150 towing heap, though. The quick answer is – Yes, you can configure a new Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost crew cab at a rating of 11,100 lbs of maximum towing, and it will tow that trailer. The last engine is a 5 Litre TI-VCT which is a V8 and it has a payload of 3,270 pounds and its maximum towing capacity stands at 11,600 pounds.

Certainly okay with an open trailer, if you had an enclosed trailer I’d go for the 3.5. https://outmotorsports.com/2019/02/2018-ford-f150-xlt-review-basic-not-bougie/.

Talk about plenty of oomph. Ford’s EcoBoost engines are a bit of a marketing misnomer, then, as you can have Eco or Boost, but not both at the same time. Agreed on some new tech making people careless, but BLIS is one that helps immensely when towing.

As mentioned, the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 is a $2,600 upgrade from the XLT’s standard 3.3L (naturally-aspirated) V6. Not only does the EcoBoost make more torque, it makes peak torque far lower in the rev range compared to the naturally-aspirated V8. Andre Smirnov is an Automotive Enthusiast, Producer, Reviewer, Videographer, Writer, Software Engineer, Husband, Father, and Friend.

TFLtruck recently received this question from Cody N. Would A correctly equipped F150 properly tow a travel trailer with 8,800 LBS dry weight, max cargo 2,300 LBs, and tongue weight of 1,136 lbs? That said, I left the assist disabled as my brain is wired for the “old school” method of parking a trailer by now. Ignoring the cab/bed configuration, it was built how most “average” buyers would probably want their F-150, with many useful options that don’t stray into extravagance. My 5.0L V8, by comparison, can hold out a bit longer at the expense of so much power. Ford Super Duty Sneak Peek: This Truck is Hiding a Supercharged 7.3L Godzilla V8! is Back and I Want One, 2020 Ford Expedition Limited Review: Towing an Enclosed Trailer, EcoBoost Shines. Ford has put a lot of effort into their towing technology with the current generation of F-150. I don’t believe there are any badges that specify which V6 is equipped in a particular truck. I’ve been dealing with Ford corporate a lot lately. The BLIS is intriguing – fascinating to see how technology is making its way into everyday driving situations in an effort to “help” people – though sometimes it probably just makes them more careless. So its leading me to believe people want more power and the 2.7L just doesnt have it.