Some think the singer is still alive, say her death a hoax. I remember recording all of her videos so I could learn the dances. The popular comedy sketch show is coming to Netflix on Nov. 1. Fan messages also flooded Twitter on Thursday (Jan. 16), wishing the late singer a happy birthday and remembering her legacy. I’m sure Aaliyah’s style has been on countless mood boards from stylists to designers within the last 15 years.”, According to her own stylist, Derek Lee, “Aaliyah showed the world that street attire can be sexy and feminine even when she was wearing baggy pants -- you don’t have to show your ass in order to be hot.”, Even more importantly, he notes, it was her confidence in pulling off any look that resonates today. Now you see a lot of girls like that—they’re everywhere.”, The Brooklyn-born, Detroit-reared R&B sensation, born Aaliyah Dana Haughton, helped paved the way for today’s empowered stars such as Rihanna, whose Fenty x Puma collection owes a debt to the styles Aaliyah pioneered, Ariana Grande, Ciara, Rita Ora, and Beyonce (who took to Instagram to pay tribute to the fallen star on the 15th anniversary of her death last August.

It helped with the mystery.”. Sign up for the “She came onto the scene singing Age Ain't Nothing But a Number, with a tomboyish style that had a twist of sex appeal. Some things are just too good to be forgotten. had no comment on whether or not they will put out an Aaliyah collection. RIP babygal 4Ever Loved ❤️ pic.twitter.com/TQODJiLquU, Along with the heartfelt message, Elliott shared a behind-the-scenes clip of Aaliyah filming a music video. “From the oversized unisex hoodies to the cropped tops and baggy jeans, the brand to me is an extension of the style that Aaliyah played with during the ’90s,” she says. Whether it was charity work, singing, acting, time with friends, signing autographs, Aaliyah lived her life with a smile on her face and love in her heart. When it came to fashion, she was a trailblazer, confidently mixing streetwear with high fashion long before the word “athleisure” came into the style lexicon. “She continues to influence today's mainstream artist & people around the world still love and celebrate her life and music every year!”. “She used minimal make-up which accentuated her natural beauty.” But for her own stylist Lee, it was all about the eye: “Aaliyah was the queen of the smoky eye. Aaliyah would have turned 41 years old today (Jan. 16). Happy birthday baby girl. The legendary songstress, who passed away in a tragic plane crash 19 years ago, was remembered by Missy Elliott on Thursday morning (Jan. 16). “That ‘not giving a f--k because I’m so fly I don’t have to give a f--k’ style? © 2020 Billboard.

RIP babygal 4Ever Loved.”, #HappyBDayAaliyah you are still inspiring people! While the M.A.C. Aaliyah’s uncle Barry Hankerson, who has maintained ownership of her non R. Kelly-produced discography, previously confirmed that her music would be available to stream on Jan. 16. “Her approach to beauty was effortless,” notes stylist Marcus Paul. Moreover, ever since her death in 2001, hundreds of eyewitnesses claimed to have spotted her in many cities around the world, in shopping malls, taxis, even in a restaurant in New York (Aaliyah’s Hometown). So, I felt in taking a step into another genre that I wanted to do something that people could understand the flow with me and they know me that way in music so I thought this was the best way.”. To learn more or opt-out, read our Cookie Policy. “I also love the way that Alexander Wang and Rihanna's Fenty x Puma continue to push the boundaries by creating sensual layering pieces that feel very sexual and modern but yet has the influence of Baby Girls' touch.”, Elsewhere, Gigi Hadid’s recent collaboration with Tommy Hilfiger echoes the looks Aaliyah wore in her 1996 campaign for the brand. “Wow #Aaliyah would’ve been 41 today,” one fan wrote.

Aaliyah would have been 22 years old at the time of death or 36 years old today. All rights reserved.Billboard is part of MRC Media and Info, a division of MRC. Her influence on beauty is also robust. "We comin... #YouViolateWeDemonstrate," he wrote. Happy birthday baby girl.”, Wow #Aaliyah would’ve been 41 today. “She was a pioneer in taking risks and creating fashion moments that still remain iconic even today.”. “It was obviously an homage,” notes Lee. It worked. Aaliyah would have turned 41 years old today (Jan. 16). "God knows I try my best to be strong, but this right here is a pain like I never felt," Freeway wrote. threatens to shut down sushi restaurant after Black couple denied service over sneakers.

The track also features a reminder from Joe Biden to vote. Do not reproduce (even with permission). 's mission of 'All ages, All races, All sexes.' Aaliyah Death Hoax: Is She Still Among Us? Aaliyah continues to have an impact on the world after her passing that fateful day in 2001. Today, Aaliyah Dana Haughton would have been 41 years old. “ There are just too many unanswered questions, too many coincidences, too many things just don’t make sense, ” a fan told the media. “I remember dancing to Back & Forth in the mirror with my little sisters. Aaliyah was born on January 16, 1979 and died on August 25, 2001. “Your edgyness & smooth dancing SO EFFORTLESS your UNIQUENESS & STYLE unmatched MUSICALLY your songs will 4EVER be NEXT LEVEL! “A lot of brands, like Fila, did that vintage ’90s look this past year.”, It’s not just the singer’s fashion sense that still resonates today. Overzealous fans started investigating the strange and conflicting circumstances surrounding the ‘death’ of Aaliyah, offering ‘incontestable evidence’ that the singer was still alive. “We listened, this is not a drill in honor of the great legacy of #Aaliyah,” Hankerson announced last month, tagging streaming services via his private Twitter. Her makeup artist Eric Ferrell did that smoky eye every day on her.

Currently, only Aaliyah’s debut album, 1994’s Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number, is available to stream. (read more). Be sure to check out top 10 facts about Aaliyah Jay at FamousDetails. Get REVOLT updates weekly so you don’t miss a thing. News of Aaliyah’s death on August 25, 2001 stunned the world. “Aaliyah stands for M.A.C. newsletter, Damon Dash says Aaliyah was “happy to be away” from R. Kelly after annulment, Aaliyah’s music to appear on streaming services next year, Twitter roasts Nevada as country waits on election results, Social media wants to put Lil Baby in charge of ballot counting, Moneybagg Yo and Blac Youngsta reveal new visual for “Birthplace”, Rome Flynn shares new single “Drunk With You”, Arizona legalizes recreational marijuana, begins plans to expunge records, Protests erupt in several cities as Americans await election results. As of 2020, Aaliyah Jay’s is not dating anyone. Aaliyah is 27 years old. Designers inspired by the nexus of fashion and music continue to draw upon Aaliyah’s sense of style. Aaliyah owned that. She was a person of virtue, honor, hard work, and love. Damon Dash to announce retirement at age 49. She’s been gone over 15 years now, but Aaliyah -- who would’ve turned 38 today (Jan. 16) had her life not been cut short in a 2001 plane crash -- left a lasting imprint on the culture. Black Eyed Peas and Jennifer Hudson bring “The Love” on new effort. © 2020 MediaMass All rights reserved.

T.I. Getty Images It has been 18 years since the world lost Aaliyah and today marks what would have been her 40th birthday.. “Her ability to open the conversation of androgynous fashion was beyond her time,” according to Los Angeles-based celebrity stylist Ade Samuel, whose clients include Kelly Rowland, Jhene Aiko and Big Sean. The two first collaborated on Elliott’s 1997 Supa Dupa Fly album cut, “Best Friends.”, “I’ve always been someone who has had an affinity towards edgy things, towards the dark side,” Aaliyah can be heard saying in the snippet. x Selena collection came into being after a similar fan-driven campaign amassed over 37,000 signatures, M.A.C. The R&B singer died in a plane crash in the Bahamas in August of 2001. Shocking proof’ and nearly 30,000 people have commented on. I remember dancing to Back & Forth in the mirror with my little sisters. Fans are still waiting for her catalogue to hit streaming services. A daily briefing on what matters in the music industry, DaBaby's Brother Dies After Sustaining Gunshot Wound | Billboard News, Celebrities Weigh In on 2020 U.S. Election as the Wait Continues | Billboard News, Justin Bieber & Chance the Rapper Are Dropping the Acoustic Version of 'Holy', Mystery Band The Network Storm Back With Biting 'Ivankkka Is a Nazi': Listen, Rest In Peace Baby Girl: 7 Artists Who Loved Aaliyah, Aaliyah's Greatest Hits Pulled From Apple Music & iTunes Hours After Surfacing, Kanye West Accepts Election Defeat in Social Media Post | Billboard News.