It isn’t a smoking deal but it is a reasonable value for the gun. Funny you posted that. I call that a win. /*# sourceMappingURL=https://www.redditstatic.com/desktop2x/chunkCSS/IdCard.8fe90067a922ef36d4b6.css.map*/A good friend of mine gifted me an SBL recently. Easy to install ghost ring sights. The first one I handled, I opened the lever and it locked up in the open position, The second felt like It had sand in it and it had machining marks on it.

I plan on getting one of these nice .45-70 lever guns for hunting and I'm torn between the blued GBL or the stainless with scope rail SBL. The practically ancient black powder cartridge is really at least two, and more like three different cartridges, depending on the firearm it’s used in. Alaskan bush hunters and their guides needed a shorter rifle that packed a punch, and so many gravitated to the Marlin. My second Marlin was a stainless steel Guide Gun with ported barrel and I added XS Express sights.

It’s worth mentioning this isn’t my only 1895; I have three. “Sharp edges on the lever is one of the things I noticed on the Marlin guns”. by tallon1138 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:41 pm, Post I finally broke down and bought an 1895 SBL. Subscribe now to get the latest news on guns, gear, gun rights, and personal defense delivered straight to your inbox daily! For example, a duplicate of the Trapdoor Springfield cartridge requires the rear sight at the highest setting to hit point-of-aim to point-of-impact at 100 yards. I started with a Henry .22. The Marlin Dark Series 1895 in .45-70 Gov’t is a nice gateway lever for firearms lovers who haven’t tried lever-actions yet and also makes a nice addition to existing collections.

I’m really looking forward to running some rounds through the gun. For me the “new” Marlin has been a big hot turd. Just saw the movie Wind River referred to by u/Fingahpoppinyabooty and I would agree the stainless looks freaking amazing. The biggest reason is the rail because it means you can mount a scope to the rifle without messing with aftermarket rails. Although it has the improved action of the Model 336, the current 1895CB shares a lot of features with the original rifle.

Sights: Adjustable Marbles Arms semi-buckhorn rear sight and Marbles front sight post Which do you prefer, Marlin 1895 GBL or SBL? When taking a collective look at all of my targets, I was pleased to discover that 22 out of 25 shots, including a sighter, grouped into a 2½-inch square. I finally settled on a 3+1 standard in .45-70. Tom, a 10 foot gator will be tuff. Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776. I really do. For all of the things that went wrong, Marlin seems to have gotten back to building guns right, and the quality control to keep it consistent. Question… Ever tried Unique in .45-70? I have one of these older 1895 Marlin guide guns & get a kick out of firing it. Although I was able to shoot the Dark Series 1895 well with irons it’s even better with a scope and if you’re using it for hunting you might really want the boost of a good optic. The lever-action’s roots can be traced back to 1848. Make sure you open and close it entirely. This fine gun has taken many a deer and an occasional elk or three and even some pheasants my old mad was a hell of a shot. Its a fantastic setup, but it can get a little on the heavy side if you are walking all day (I would say I hump at between 13km - 20km a day with it through the bush). They seem to have a shorter OAL than the traditional factory rounds that I had. Accurate, dependable, and supremely powerful, it also looks pretty good to boot. Glad to hear the quality is back for the Marlin marque. My local crappy tire has both $869.99 For the GBL $1199 for the SBL. Another side- I had a Win 94 trapper w/o crossbolt in .44 mag converted to takedown by a fairly local smith using the specs in an old NRA gunsmithing book. We discuss most anything here ... politely. "He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Delay after delay despite them saying once they got the FFL info they’d ship (hint, they lied). And I saw the movie too actually, when he took that long range shot at one of the bad guys after the standoff scene I was thinking their reaction was a bit odd. I had a box of that 22 I got from Gander Mountain during the previous great ammo shortage and that’s what I took to shoot. It was there but it wasn’t massive. In this firearm, like the 1895CB, the old workhorse can launch a 320 gr bullet at 1,900 fps, easily surpassing the 3,000 ft/lbs of energy mark, and quite a bit more. With the right bullet, the 1895CB is capable of more precision than most would expect. Recreating the original Trapdoor Springfield load, a 405 grain lead bullet traveling at just about 1,400 fps, the 1895CB produced an average of 2-inch five-shot groups over four-shot strings from a Caldwell Stinger shooting rest at 100 yards. Although the Marlin 1895 shot a buffalo-killing cartridge, it was never one of the buffalo guns. It’s crooked. Like I said, I may yet send my Guide Gun off to West sometime in the future. I just bought this gun today I’ll get back with every one on how well this marlin 1895CB lever action works. ._3Im6OD67aKo33nql4FpSp_{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetBorderColor);border-radius:5px 5px 4px 4px;overflow:visible;word-wrap:break-word;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);padding:12px}.lnK0-OzG7nLFydTWuXGcY{font-size:10px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-transform:uppercase;padding-bottom:4px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-navIcon)} by Blackhawk » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:48 pm, Post Please give the model of the Contessa scope mount. The result is an easy-handling gun that moves quickly and balances very well, for its length. This is a high-class place so act respectable. Fortunately he’s never asked for it back. The traditional Ballard cut barrel has a 1:20 twist, enough to stabilize the heavy 400 to 500 grain flat-nosed bullets. Weight: 7 lbs. There are a few folks now that can color case harden these guns. It has the curved metal butt plate mentioned in the article. This design works well for more precise shooting over longer ranges, as well as using the wider portion between the top of the ears for fast shooting at close-in and moving targets. Available in various finishes and textures ranging from black walnut to laminated hardwood. I had a new Marlin 45-70 that flash rusted on the receiver from simple condensation coming in out of the cold. All I did was take it apart and polish anything that touched anything else. Either the hole or the dowel is not round- quite a gap can be seen on one side. I put in one of Jim West’s extractors and pondered sending mine to him to convert to a Co Pilot. With an MSRP of $949 you’re going to find the Dark Series 1895 at dealers for sub-$849, maybe even less as time goes on. Boken down it’s about the size of a Browning .22 ADT, sneak it in about anywhere. Fast-forward to the 1890s and we have John Marlin developing the Model 1891 and Model 1893, designs that morphed into the Model 39 and Model 36. SOME have minor rough-spots that you can deal with in 30 minutes with some fine grit paper or a stone. Streetlights never went off today it stayed so dark. The straight-grained walnut stocks are well executed with an even fitment around the metal. ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{margin-bottom:8px;position:relative}._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq._3-0c12FCnHoLz34dQVveax{max-height:63px;overflow:hidden}._1zPvgKHteTOub9dKkvrOl4{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;font-weight:400;word-wrap:break-word}._1dp4_svQVkkuV143AIEKsf{-ms-flex-align:baseline;align-items:baseline;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);bottom:-2px;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-flow:row nowrap;flex-flow:row nowrap;padding-left:2px;position:absolute;right:-8px}._5VBcBVybCfosCzMJlXzC3{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:400;line-height:21px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText)}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);border:0;padding:0 8px}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:active,._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:hover{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextShaded80);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextShaded80)}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:disabled,._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI[data-disabled],._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI[disabled]{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextAlpha50);cursor:not-allowed;fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextAlpha50)}._2ZTVnRPqdyKo1dA7Q7i4EL{transition:all .1s linear 0s}.k51Bu_pyEfHQF6AAhaKfS{transition:none}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK{transition:all .1s linear 0s;display:block;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-field);border-radius:4px;padding:8px;margin-bottom:12px;margin-top:8px;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-canvas);cursor:pointer}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK:focus{outline:none}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK:hover{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK._3GG6tRGPPJiejLqt2AZfh4{transition:none;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO{cursor:pointer;transition:all .1s linear 0s}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{border:1px solid transparent;border-radius:4px;transition:all .1s linear 0s}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO:hover ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button);padding:4px}._1YvJWALkJ8iKZxUU53TeNO{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._3jyKpErOrdUDMh0RFq5V6f{-ms-flex:100%;flex:100%}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 .dqhlvajEe-qyxij0jNsi0{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._12nHw-MGuz_r1dQx5YPM2v,._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 .dqhlvajEe-qyxij0jNsi0{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;cursor:pointer;-ms-flex-item-align:end;align-self:flex-end;-webkit-user-select:none;-ms-user-select:none;user-select:none}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._12nHw-MGuz_r1dQx5YPM2v{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);margin-right:8px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-errorText)}._3zTJ9t4vNwm1NrIaZ35NS6{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;font-weight:400;word-wrap:break-word;width:100%;padding:0;border:none;background-color:transparent;resize:none;outline:none;cursor:pointer;color:var(--newRedditTheme-bodyText)}._2JIiUcAdp9rIhjEbIjcuQ-{resize:none;cursor:auto}._2I2LpaEhGCzQ9inJMwliNO{display:inline-block}._2I2LpaEhGCzQ9inJMwliNO,._42Nh7O6pFcqnA6OZd3bOK{margin-left:4px;vertical-align:middle}._42Nh7O6pFcqnA6OZd3bOK{fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);height:16px;width:16px;margin-bottom:2px}