No spoilers here: Just keep in mind that this was filmed in 1972. Until that point, it's all rather slow and stodgy, stuck with irritating characters (the mother's love interest is particularly annoying) and dodgy scenes, like the bit where the boy attempts to seduce his own babysitter. The remake did not use any of the dialogue in Shaffer's original script, and was considered unsuccessful in comparison to the original. Andrew purports to know nothing, but as the inspector collates incriminating clues, Andrew breaks down and explains the burglary hoax. The main story is a three-hander of sorts between a mother, her boy, and the man she falls in love with. Plot Keywords Peter runs a New York tour.

But, her 10-year-old son loves her way too much and has an unhealthy and pathological attachment to … Awards Sleuth is a 1972 British-American mystery thriller film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz and starring Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine.The screenplay by playwright Anthony Shaffer was based on his 1970 Tony Award-winning play.Both Olivier and Caine were nominated for Academy Awards for their performances. ), complete with a romantic opening tune, is woefully out of place in this mother-son mishmash. "Deathtraps: The Postmodern Comedy Thriller", "Claudette Colbert: She Walked in Beauty", "Follow these clues to the original 'Sleuth, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sleuth_(1972_film)&oldid=982904199, Films with screenplays by Anthony Shaffer, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, John Matthews as Detective Sergeant Tarrant, This page was last edited on 11 October 2020, at 02:22.

But, her 10-year-old son loves her way too much and has an unhealthy and pathological attachment to his mother. This film represents one of those rare instances when a low-budget actually enhances a film, and makes it more authentic and believable. Christine is a recently widowed art gallery owner, and she falls in love with him. The police will arrive soon. | When they met, Caine asked Olivier how he should address him. A disturbed pre-teen with a fixation on his mother becomes increasingly jealous of the new man who enters her life and plots violent retribution. On Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 96% based on reviews from 23 critics.[5]. Christine is a recently widowed art gallery owner, and she falls in love with him.

This is THE GOOD SON for the 70s without talent or forethought. Wobbly low-budget film never seems sure what it wants to be: Oedipal thriller, relationship melodrama, psychological tragedy. Deadly Rivals is A Very Strange And Unusual Movie For 1972, Quality Story and Acting Marred by Editing and Soundtrack. Deadly Rivals is a very strange and unusual story for the year 1972.I purchased this movie several years ago on VHS tape because of Joan Hackett being the leading lady in the film.The first time that I watched the movie, I was thinking weird and very very strange.I watched the movie again not too long ago,and I liked it better the second time around.This is not a movie for most people. He's very different from her former husband, but may be just what she needs. Deadly Rivals is a very strange and unusual story for the year 1972.I purchased this movie several years ago on VHS tape because of Joan Hackett being the leading lady in the film.The first time that I watched the movie, I was thinking weird and very very strange.I watched the movie again not too long ago,and I liked it better the second time around.This is not a movie for most people. The Academy Film Archive preserved Sleuth in 2012.[14]. A sex scene in the movie, involving the boy and his sitter, would probably result in criminal charges today. The jazzy background score by Peter Matz (! [13] Shaffer received an Edgar Award for his screenplay. As Milo prepares to leave, he continues humiliating Andrew with information provided by Andrew's wife and mistress. Rivals Inhalt. Joan Hackett gives one of her best performances as a woman who's torn between her son and her spouse. The score is seemingly evened until Milo announces they will play another game involving a real murder. With Joan Hackett, Robert Klein, Scott Jacoby, Jeanne Tanzy Williams. You have to like strange offbeat stories.The actors Joan Hackett, Robert Klein, and Scott Jacoby were very good.Joan Hackett was really good as the mother who cannot figure out what to do with her bad son.Scott Jacoby as the son was effective. Jojo Rabbit.

Critics gave the film overwhelmingly positive reviews,[5] and would later note similarities between it and Caine's 1982 film Deathtrap.[6][7][8][9][10][11]. [6][7][8][9][10][11] SCTV episode 121 featured Dave Thomas playing Michael Caine, arguing that the two films were different because the library appeared on different sides of the set.

in 1966 and the first where exactly all of the actors in the film were nominated. Critics Roger Ebert, Janet Maslin, Gary Arnold of the Washington Post, and several film historians have all noted similarities between Sleuth and Caine's 1982 film Deathtrap. At the conclusion, Andrew pulls a gun on Milo and reveals the bogus theft was merely a ruse to frame Milo as a burglar so he can kill him. *1/2 from ****. He is probably implying that Tindle was buried with it. The police arrive outside and a distraught and defeated Andrew locks himself inside the house. Christine is a recently widowed art gallery owner, and she falls in love with him. The production team intended to reveal as little about the movie as possible so as to make the conclusion a complete surprise to the audience. This was Mankiewicz's final film. This comes to a point when the mother remarries, which makes the son fall into all sorts of jealous and dangerous behaviors. Movies.

Andrew threatens to shoot Milo. In September 2006 Kenneth Branagh announced at the Venice Film Festival his new film of the play, with the screenplay by Nobel laureate Harold Pinter. When he finally did relent, he hoped the film would retain the services of Anthony Quayle, who had essayed the role of Wyke in London and on Broadway. External Reviews

Milo says he fatally strangled Andrew's mistress, Téa, and has planted incriminating evidence throughout Andrew's house. They include him pulling open the shower curtains in one of the bathrooms and exposing the clown's jacket, dripping wet and apparently with bloodstains on it. Contrary to some of the other reviews here, it is not a "Bad Seed" kind of movie. Sleuth is a 1972 British-American mystery thriller film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz and starring Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine. The screenplay by playwright Anthony Shaffer was based on his 1970 Tony Award-winning play.

Peter runs a New York tour. Much of the story revolves around the theme of crime fiction, as written by John Dickson Carr (St John Lord Merridew = Sir Henry Merrivale), on whom Olivier’s physical appearance is modelled, and Agatha Christie, whose photo is included on Wyke's wall, and how it relates to real-life criminal investigations. Peter runs a New York tour. R. Drama. After she remarries, his rage and misery overwhelm him and he plots to kill his stepfather. Für den Film Rivals und dessen Regie ist Krishna Shah verantwortlich. However, Milo says he anticipated this and really did call the police, who are on their way. Directed by Krishna Shah. Movie details for Rivals (1972) Rivals (1972) Country: USA Genre: Drama Synopsis. As Milo lies dying, he tells Andrew to tell the police that it was, "all just a bloody game"; he then presses the aa control box, leaving Andrew surrounded by his electronic toys as police attempt to enter. Rivals (1972) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. Watching Rivals, I found myself alternating between moments of intense desire to see what happens next, on the one hand, and a mix of boredom and annoyance on the other. Peter is a wacky free spirit who runs a New York tour specifically for New Yorkers. In the end, director Mankiewicz opted for Olivier and Caine.

Christine is a recently widowed art gallery owner, and she falls in love with him. TV Shows . | Milo then reveals that he faked Téa's death with Joyce and Téa's willing assistance, thus tricking Andrew a second time.

Now, 30 years later I was able to finally see it again on an old VHS tape, and it still impresses.

Metacritic Reviews. He despises everything about the new boyfriend that his mother finds so refreshing -- with tragic results. You could do worse, but this is far from being anything special. Peter is a wacky free spirit who runs a New York tour specifically for New Yorkers. But her precocious son starts to act out against this intrusion on his relationship with his mother. Following Milo's cryptic clues, Andrew frantically searches the house for the planted evidence. The film has touches of horror in its depiction of the child, who turns out to be something of a psychotic character whose full fury is unleashed come the admittedly powerful climax. While questioning Wyke, Doppler points out that the clown costume that Tindle was wearing when he was shot is missing, though the clown's mask is later found and put on the head of the plastic skeleton in the cellar. It looks like we don't have a Synopsis for this title yet. Foolish soap opera is given a slight boost by Robert Klein (!) HBO 2 20:30. Andrew, pushed too far when Milo ridicules his literary detective, disbelieves Milo and shoots and mortally wounds him. But, her 10-year-old son loves her way too much and has an unhealthy and pathological attachment to his mother. He insists he only pretended to shoot Milo using a blank cartridge and that his rival left humiliated but alive and unharmed. This feat has been repeated only by Give 'em Hell, Harry! Caine starred in this adaptation, this time in the role of Wyke, while Jude Law played Tindle as a struggling actor.

Production was completed in March 2007, and released in the UK on 23 November 2007. 1 hr 44 min. | Christine is an uptight art gallery owner, recently widowed, who is stepping back out into the dating world. Rivals (1972) Plot. I would love to see it as well. A few days later, Inspector Doppler arrives to investigate Milo's disappearance. If Andrew kills him, he will be caught red-handed. RIVALS is an independent psychological drama from 1972, shot on the rain-swept streets of New York with an unknown cast. Her 10-year-old son, Jamie is a loonball. Showing all 2 items Jump to: Summaries (2) Summaries.

Also has a awful, awful music score that sounds like it was taken from " Sesame Street". The late 60s-early 70s rush of independent films was a good thing and many good films came of it, but RIVALS is one of the bad films to come from this. Scott Jacoby was a wonderful actor for as young as he was.I recommend this movie if you want to see a movie that is not in the mainstream.I have this movie. Taglines | When Hackett is accosted on the street by a fledgling Manhattan tour guide (a young and annoying Robert Klein), romance is in the air, and Klein and Jacoby are soon bumping heads and competing for the same woman. Milo is heard talking to the officers, but there are actually no police.

as Hackett's new beau, but Scott Jacoby is lost in the one-note role of the peculiar youngster. Peter runs a New York tour. Highly offbeat story about a very unusual relationship between a mother and son. The screenplay is low key to the point of inducing sleep, but Hackett is very good and the film features marvelous verite footage of Big Apple streets.