I found it to chronograph at 2820 FPS with an ES of 6 FPS! Many .284 shooters such as myself have used Hodgdon 4831 SC with great results but I have also heard of good results with H4350, Vihtavouri 560, and Reloader 17. My 284 is a legal NBRSA 600/1000 yard Light Gun, based on a Bat M. It us s neck up 6.5/284 Lapua with a .313 neck. VLD. One step I took and was glad I did was to turn all of this brass under power with the use of a Sinclair Power Center and Case Driver/Holder. Is this to big a spread form the 197 SMK 1.706 OAL, to the Berger 180 VLD 1.549 OAL. or any 6.5mm X .284 brass and neck up in a simple process. Can’t complain about that! This bullet has proved itself with others shooting this cartridge. I contacted Dave Kiff from Pacific Tool and Die to have a reamer made based on the Norma specifications for the .284 cartridge necked up to 7mm with a tight .313” neck. I was blown away by the load I had chosen. Sometimes the original is best as in this case, it sure is my opinion!

Berger VLD for ultimate long range shooting in a windy climate. Berger 180 Grain VLD Hunting Bullets are extremely popular for long range hunting applications. However, the group size remained tight and ES over the chronograph remained very low without any noted pressure signs. So if you are looking for a great long range cartridge, check out the .284 Winchester. Another awesome rifle sends a 285 gr ELD M down range at 2,650 FPS. The hydrostatic shock causes most animals to drop immediately. This high BC bullet is hard to beat at long ranges. --- DLG. It definitely has not been as touchy as the 6.5mm.

There is a slight recoil gain over the 6.5mm but nothing to flinch at.

Here is the round one pic next to my 270 win 170 gr Berger load. I have found the .284 Winchester to be a more superior cartridge to the 6.5mm X .284 in my experience in 600 and 100 yard F-Class Competition. Give it a shot, you will not be disappointed! Built with highly consistent J4 Precision Bullet jackets, most favored by custom bullet makers. With around 900 rounds through the same barrel I have not seen the slightest effect on the throat or rest of the barrel that would show signs of burning out.

Who would have thought that going up .020” in bullet diameter would have made such a difference. This website uses cookies and third party services. I built this off a rem 700 270 win doner.

Individual lots may vary. A .020” bullet diameter difference, but a performance and barrel life boost!

turned out great get them up to a hair over 2,900 fps sub moa.

A .020” bullet diameter difference, but a performance and barrel life boost! Once that was complete I turned the necks down with a Sinclair NT-4000 Neck turning tool from .0145” to .0135” to allow .002” clearance from the chamber. I just started building my own rifles three or so years ago. After break-in and a few trips to the range I settled on a load, and a seating depth of .020” of bullet jump to go to take to the nationals.

All product specifications are for reference only. Group shot at 500 Yards during a practice match with the .284. So I ordered a McGowen Precision 28” Remage Barrel 1-8 twist. Or am I really limiting my rounds to the 183 SMK 1.620 and the 195 Berger EOL 1.659. By Pete Petros-Lead Reloading Technician, Sinclair International. So I figured get the longest bullet and go from there. In load development I began … Good Shooting! What was best about this was that I had stumbled on this load early in development and could work on other areas before the competition. I would like to be able to fire down to 180 Berger VLD’s as well. I have built 4 or 5 AR’s 5.56 , 6.5 Grendel and 308 win most of them sub moa. Purpose to send heavy hunting and target bullets down range with real precision. 700 action, 30 inch 1:7 Lilja. 30 Caliber 210 Grain Very Low Drag (VLD) Hunting, 7 mm 140 Grain Very Low Drag (VLD) Hunting. VLD Hunting Bullets are identical in design to VLD Target bullets except utilize a thinner J4 Precision jacket for rapid expansion during game applications. Does not matter to me really just as precision loading and custom chambering is new to me. I'm in the process of building a 284 Winchester on a Rem. I highly recommend that Lapua brass is used. He blue printed and bedded my action in the modified factory stock and tweaked the Rifle Basix SAV-2 Trigger.

The reamer I use is specifically designed for the 180 Berger Hybrid. Using a Redding Type-S Full Length Die with a .309” bushing I assured a perfect .002” of neck tension. The 6.5 X .284 Norma with 140 Berger VLD on left and .284 Winchester on Right with 180 Berger . Loading the bullet to a COAL of 3.353 the boattail is all that extends into the case, so the bearing starts at the base of the neck. Fortunately, I had all of my brass prepped and ready to go once I had the rifle home. This made the job much easier without losing accuracy. Pacific Tool and Gauge- 541-826-5808

180 Grain VLD Hunting Bullets are designed to penetrate 2-3″ and then begin to expand and create a …

Almost a year has passed and the rifle is shooting better than when it was new.

Once again this had proved to be a great powder with other shooters and I already had a good amount left over from loading for the factory rifle.

A favorite load technique for the VLD’s is touching the rifling for single-shot applications, although some rifles may prefer as much as .150″ from the rifling.

Contacts

Not to mention the sierra 183 has a little better BC then the berger 184.. Has anyone here used the Sierra 183 SMK enough on game to know how well they perform in a hunting regime? 7 mm 180 Grain Very Low Drag (VLD) Hunting. You can use either factory Winchester brass in .284 Win.

I hand load my rounds. Additionally, it was shooting ¾” groups at 300 yds! At the same time I gained a full MOA from my 300 yard zero to 600 yards. and converted into a .284 Win. Besides the longer barrel life it has other advantages. I ordered some Sierra 197 SMK’s and I started looking at what makes sense in terms of COAL. Berger VLD Hunting Bullets are extremely popular for long range hunting applications. The memory's of the hunt and fresh meat on the table combined with the beauty of Gods creation. I have built 4 or 5 AR’s 5.56 , 6.5 Grendel and 308 win most of them sub moa. Note the hole on right under micrometer blade was from another rifle in .30 caliber. tack driver! Results for {phrase} ({results_count} of {results_count_total}), Displaying {results_count} results of {results_count_total}. I built a 270 win with a McGowen 26” barrel 1 x8 twist for the purpose of firing the Berger … I received the new upgraded rifle two weeks before I left for the 2009 F-Class Nationals at Camp Butner, North Carolina. I had him use my new reamer to chamber a 31” Bartlein 1-9” twist 5R barrel that tapers from 1.25” to .900”. I took the Lapua brass and expanded it from 6.5mm to 7mm with a Sinclair Expander die and mandrel. Or should I go a little longer or shorter with the 197. Penrod Precision- Mark Penrod- 260-982-8385. VLD Hunting Bullets incoporate a secant ogive design which allows the bullet to experience less drag as it travels to the target.

When working up the load be cautious of on-line loads, use official loading manual data and work your way up in powder volume. After hearing about great results that shooters have been having with the original .284 Winchester I decided to re-barrel and chamber my factory Savage F-Class 6.5mm X .284 after 1200 rounds of ¼ MOA accuracy had opened up a bit. JavaScript is disabled. This reduced drag is why the VLD shoots flatter, experiences less wind-drift, and has a higher retained velocity than all others. So I got so,e match dies and I am going to load some dummy rounds so they can use this round to custom free-bore the chamber. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I am currently building a 284 win for target and long range hunting. it is chambered in 284 Win Match GAP. Would like to shoot the 180 Gr. Hello, to begin a chat session with a customer service representative, complete the fields below and click Chat, Pete’s rifle that has been modified from its original factory form.